Taiping has been developed since 1874 with the concept of Traditional Iron Grid. Taiping used to be the main city in Perak and the oldest city in Malaysia. The name Taiping means The Everlasting Peace was taken after the word Tai Peng.
Ages ago, Taiping is known as Klian Pauh. The town was developed by a Malay man named Long Jaafar. He opened a tin dredge in Larut. The name was changed to Taiping after the Larut War in 1874.
Taiping Lake Garden
Established in 1880, the Taiping Lake Garden is one of the oldest garden in Malaysia. This 62 hectares of park is also known as Taman Tasik Taiping in the Malay language. The huge lake was formerly a tin mine but was since transformed into a beautiful well used and well maintained park where flowers, birds, insects, animals and lush greeneries thrive.
Drop by this lake and take a stroll if you are visiting Taiping Zoo, one of the better zoo in Malaysia.
Taiping Zoo and Night Safari
Night Safari is one of the latest attraction in Taiping and the first in Malaysia. It was officially opened on 15 June 2003 by DYMM Sultan Azlan Shah. It presents a different dimension to the visitors where the beauty and purity of nature can be enjoyed at night. Night Safari exhibits the animals that are active at night and give the visitors a chance to enjoy the natural environment and habitat of the wild animals, with the sounds the animals make, like owls, foxes, deer, panthers and others.
Taiping Zoo and the Night Safari had won the Best Tourist Attraction under the Man Made Category in the Malaysian Tourism Award 2003.
Bukit Larut (Maxwell Hill)
It was founded in 1884 by William Edward Maxwell, the British Assistant Resident of Perak. Perched at 1250m above sea level, it is the wettest place in Malaysia, with an annual rainfall of over 500cm. Temperature here hovers around 15 degreescentigrade in the early morning and late afternoon, dipping to 10 degrees centigrade at night.
The Tea Garden House, situated mid-way up the hill, was once the office of a tea plantation. However, when their tea plants did not grow very well here, the British shifted their agricultural endeavour to the Cameron Highlands, where the Boh Tea Plantation is now. All types of Malaysian flowers including the rare giant fishtail palm thrive here while tulips are grown on an experimental basis. The golden sunflowers grown here are the largest in the country.
Perak Museum was founded by Sir Hugh Low in 1883, and hence is the oldest museum in this country. It exhibits various collections of zoology and herbarium specimens, and Malay cultural objects. The construction of the museum was carried out in stages where the first phase began in 1883 and completed in 1886. The next phase began in 1889 with the construction of the front and back porches.
In 1900, the original building was connected to the Exhibition Hall at the back, and the construction was fully completed in 1903.
The museum was initiated by Perak Resident, Sir Hugh Low and the first museum curator was Leonard Wray Jr. The Moorish architecture museum is a centre for research, collection and preservation of the local cultural assets and the natural history.
Taiping Municipal Council Building
Heritage buildings in Taiping are mostly government buildings and shop houses where the architecture is English-influenced. There are 83 shop houses and 34 public buildings in Taiping. The shop houses are the most obvious and important landmarks in Taiping. They are imported from China, influenced by the colonial architecture that grew in the 16th century to the mid-20th century.
The colonial architectures are brought in by the European colonialists like the Portuguese, Dutch and English that have been modified to suit Malaysian climate.
Taiping British War Memorial Cemetery
Taiping War Cemetery is a graveyard for those killed during World War II. It is located in Bukit Larut (Maxwell Hill), Many soldiers, including some from the Royal Malay Regiment, Gurkhas, British and Australian troops, were killed during the Japanese Invasion of Malaya.
This graveyard was erected by the Commonwealth War Graves Commi